“If you give me a lever and a place to stand, I can move the world”. Archimedes
A Distributor CEO Query:
“Bruce, we’ve got Waypoint’s Analytics service: what is the easiest play we can do for the fastest ROI? What are the Archimedes, Big-Leverage options?” (see quote above)
Continue reading 222. The Biggest, Profit-Improvement Play Possible?
“Everyone is entitled to opinions. But, without convincing data, my opinion wins” (Many a CEO)
This Blog’s Theory: Picking-costs for popular, small-dollar SKUs is a huge, profit-improvement opportunity.
Continue reading 221. Theories About Losing, Small-Dollar-Pick SKUs
Lessons from Bad Polling Forecasts
Massive money was spent on polls and flipping Republican senate seats. Alas, no Blue Wave happened. Key lessons:
- Models – based on past results for a complex, ever-changing system – don’t accurately predict the future.
- Money wasted on “dumb bets” (like the $300MM democrats spent trying to flip 5 Republican senate seats unsuccessfully) can’t also be invested into smarter risks.
- If you want to get rich, you must have vital information – about stable systems – that no one else has and upon which you can act.
Continue reading 220. Election Polls, Smart Risks and Dumb Mistakes
In General: Sooner is Better
When buying a commodity – with all factors being equal – quicker delivery or answers win.
Entire business niches have been created/dominated by fastest response (e.g. Dominos Pizzas). The fastest delivery is: already there! Think of – just in case, curated SKUs – stored in special cabinets or vending machines. (Who pays or shares in the cost of both the upfront design solution and inventory investment is negotiable).
Continue reading 219. The Needs For Speed Vary By Customer Niche
Warehouse Wage-War News
What’s driving this hourly-labor, news stream?
- Oct 2018: Amazon (which sets the bar) upped the ante for warehouse workers (and Delivery Partner drivers) to $15/hr. plus benefits. And, Bernie Sanders applauded!
- July 2019: AMZ announces a $700MM training budget to advance, self-selected warehouse workers to: better, technical-jobs, career paths.
Continue reading 218. Redesign Warehouse: Value Productivity and Pay Or Lose
Post Inauguration Day (1/20/21) Stimulus “Solution”?
Both presidential candidates have promised lots – including big, pandemic, stimulus bills – “after the election”. What will be this free-lunch formula?
- The government issues another $3+ Trillion in government bonds.
- Smart investors won’t buy these bonds at near zero-percent interest. So, the Fed will print a similar amount of new dollars out of thin air to buy the bonds (through banks as intermediaries).
- This loan from our kids and grandkids will then be sent out to voters to spend and lobbyist clients (financial re-engineers) to bail them out of their zombie investments along with fees.
Continue reading 217. “Modern Monetary Theory” (MMT; Magic Money Tree) Effects?