If you (as a distributor) want to “get paid for service value” and then marry the biggest, best customers on a win-win basis, then you will need to understand some or all of the building block concepts in the video clips below. The first section (playlist) of video clips will explain more. As you scroll down, you will see the titles of the slides in each clip in the first four of many contemplated sub-sections. If one slide-title looks interesting, click on the playlist link at the top of its sub- section, then within the youtube playlist you can scroll down to the slide(s) you may want to check out.
For anyone who is a twitter user, you can sign up for my tweets about new (and questions about old) video clip posting at twitter@db_merrifield.
For now, this is the first iteration of a grand experiment. I need your feedback on how to improve the total offering in any way. Hope you find this helpful. Be in touch!
Module 1: Introduction to “Getting Paid for Service Value” (view YouTube playlist)
- Introduction to: “Getting Paid for Service Value”
- What is This?
- My Teaching Design Assumptions
- Re-Use It? “Creative Commons”?
- Is “Getting Paid for Service Value” (GPFSV) a Good First Question?
- Is GPFSV a Good FIrst Question?
- Key Themes for the E-Vid Clips
- Five Strategic Puzzle Pieces
- The (Linear) Order of E-Vid Clips
- The Price/Transactional Game?
- Levels of “VP Supply Chain” Objectives
- “Service” (x) 11 Elements of: “Total Procurement Cost” (TPC)
- Service Feature -> TPC Benefits
- TPC BLIND SPOTS?
- TPC Price-Trap Names:
- TPC APP: Distributors Lower It!
- Other “Middle-Man” Benefits?
- Big-Buy, Forecast Accuracy (x) Time
- Last-Look +1 for rep? (in trx’l game)
- And, “Service Value” gets +1 pt. too!
- Are Higher Prices Really Possible?
- “Service Value Vision Gaps”
- Concept of “Value-Exchange Mgt.”?
- Top & Bottom 4: GM-CTS=NBC*
- Top/Bottom Observations (1)
- Top/Bottom Observations (2)
- Law of Reciprocal Channel-Activity Costs
- Case Study: Losing Customer CTS
- Up-Time Metric: Contractor Case
- Customer Retent’n/Defect’n Math
- CASE STUDY: Hi CTS Contractor: Over-Focuses on: “No Inventory”
- Summary Q’s About Selling Service-Value-Chain Memes
Module 2: Life-Cycle Thinking: Supply-Chain Buying and Selling” (view YouTube playlist)
- Our Life-Cycle Thinking for: Supply-Chain Buying and Selling
- Adoption Curves, Their Life Cycles for: Products and Ideas
- Length of Different Life-Cycles?
- Big Right Change – Big ROI
- Key Dates for Supply-Chain Memes
- Four Innovation Zones
- Still Blinded by: “Economies of Scale”
- Blind Spots for B/E Chart
- Blind Spots(2)
- Why Every Customer/GM$ Counts?
- “Aren’t All Costs Fixed for Today?”
- Case #’s: 5/5 Team and Minnow Divis’n
- Acorn Customers into Oaks?
- “But, Competitors can’t get anything?”
- The Sales Force Will Retaliate! (?)
- Your Channel’s Life-Cycle History?
- Success Rules for: Growth Stage v. Consolidation? Be in Synch or Die!
- Consolidating-Customer, Next-Level, Cost-Reduction Necessities
- Evolution of “Value-Added”
- “Augmented Product” x Life-Cycle
- Logical (?) Order for Service Elements
- Can distributors lead supply-chain changes?
- Can We “Renew” our company?
Module 3: The Need for “Line Item Profit Analytics” (LIPA) (view YouTube playlist)
- The Need for “Line Item Profit Analytics” (LIPA)
- Low ROI on past “Analytics”?
- Must Read Book to Rethink Core Management Assumptions
- Create 4-directional, Profit-Power #’s
- What are “power laws”?
- Observations for LIPA Rankings?
- GM$-CTS=Profit, Whale-Cure: 20/140
- Customer, Whale-Curve Q’s
- Customer Whale Curve Blind Spot
- Whale-Curve, Twin Cases
- CTS, Belief System Overhaul(1)
- CTS Belief Overhaul (2)
- SKU Power Laws: 10/500, 3/(300)
- Supplier Power Laws: 15/350, 1/(150)
- Supplier SKU Power Law? Not really.
- Different “Peak Profits” for Each Lens: Leverage Points! Life-cycle driver?
- Power-Law, Customer-Centric Q’s?
- “5-5-5” Account Upside?
- LIPA-enabled, “islands” Journey Steps?
- Step 2: CTS/LIPA In-House?
- Or, Dictator Turn-Around, “First Peel” (’76)
- Ballpark MRO WD TRX #s
- Profit/Loss on $200 ORDER@25% GM?
- Pros/Cons of KISS Equation
- #3: Solving Ranking-Report Trauma?
- 5-why causes? Then What?
- GM$ Per Activity Cost Unit
- #4: Deep-dive, cross-ref, cause-search analytics architecture design
- Guidelines Start to Emerge
- #5: Insights into Solutions/Plays
- #6: Re-educate, Re-skill, Re-compensate
- Incentives on: Sales, GM$’s, GM%?
- Rules of 5-to-7 and 1-to-10
- Advanced Profit Improvement Convergence (APIC)
- #7: Open-book Selling/Buying?
- #8: “Tracking Reports” for Profit Plays?
- Track Scripts; Gain-share Profits
Module 4: Customer Nichonomics (View YouTube playlist)
- Customer Nichonomics
- What are you going to learn?
- Nichonomics: Big Questions?
- Product-Centric Customer TPC/PAT Demand Creation Low-Cost Fulfillment
- We’ve always been customer-centric!
- Branch’s #1 Historic, Best Niche
- Niche Varies by PBIT: 100% +?
- 5 Intersecting Lenses
- Value-Buying Customer?
- Value-Buying Categories of Customers
- Intersection of Loyalty and TPC Buying
- Sub-Divide a Segment by Selling Method Cost Boundaries
- Service Value Allocation Maps: Present and Future GM$/month boundaries for A,B,C?
- A-D “Service Model” Examples
- Decatheletes v. Niche (event) Specialists
- CASE: What’s our #1 Niche?
- Overview on: 5-5-5 Report
- “Research”: Service Value Eq.
- Customer Listening Guidelines
- Service Varies by Niche
- (e.g.) MRO Buyer Service Quirks
- Service Quirks: Estimators’ Speed Needs
- Case: 5-5-5 Survey Action Items
- (a) Heroic Acts: Wally Bojorquez’ NPV
- (b) Case: What are the “Big 8”?
- (c-1) Thoughts on Fill-rate Economics
- (c-2) Beef Winner, Fill-rate Benefits
- SKU Popularity/Profitability Report?
- Niche-Service Retention Economics
- Case: Grocery Customer Churn Stats
- Defection Prevention
- “(Niche) Service Profit Chain”
- “Service Retention Sub-Maps” x My DVD HPDIFA Modules (3 options)
- Strategy Map Levels
- Nxt. Sub-Section: Niche Ex. Services
- Intersection Opportunities
- Do entre(intra)prenurial Steps
- Dream Extra Service Criteria
- Role of Outside Rep Changing
- “Hard Matrix” Total Team Support
- Target Account Criteria
- Who can Crack Them?
- Dome Selling Process
- Nine Steps to a System
- Be a “10”
- Do the Sales Force DURRR?*
- DURRR Case Study (Art:2.19)
- Economies of Scale within a Niche?
- Plus Partner-Growth Economics?
- What’s a (niche) profit pool (PP)?
- Vision: Best-Value Exch. Equation
- “1st Choice” by all Stakeholders
- Virtuous Spiral
- Nichonomics Summary Steps(1)
- Nichonomics Summary Steps(2)
- Can We Be and Excellence Freak!?
- Why Don’t We?
- The Niche Focus/Service Test
- Q’s: Making Niche Service Happen? Preview of Coming Sections
Module 5: Achieving Service Value (View YouTube playlist)
- High-Performance Environment Thoughts
- Overview: Six Boundary Systems for Self-Organizing Initiative
- 6 Systems Fulfill Alternative
- “Self-Organizing” Energy/Creativity ?
- Bottom-Up, Self-Organizing Experiments
- Hex. Side 1: Service Value
- Overview of My Big 8 Service
- Hex. Side 2: Balanced
- (2) Job-Quality
- (2) Co-Opetive Benchmarking
- (2) Team’s Co-creative Input
- Small-Win News – 110% Cont. Buy-In
- When/How to do Praisings
- Praising Statement Format
- Publication Benefits
- Philosophy: Better v. Being Greatest
- “Praise Tightwad” Solution?
- RE: Nit-Picking Naysayers
- Praisings Wrap-Up Thoughts
- Hex. Side 3: GAAP #s
- Hex. Side 4: WIIM/ABC’s Capitalism
- Hex. Side 5: Mastery Rankings
- How Do We Grow? To Where?
- Transformational Re-Invention Isn’t Incremental
- Selling Skills: Transformational Levels
- Levels of Individual Performance
- Info/Creative Economy: Self-Starters?
- Wheel of learning + Bets = Failing Forward
- Cont. Improve for “Dead-End” Jobs
- Mastery Path Scenarios
- The Mastery Path
- All “New” Requires Failing
- The Dabbler
- The Obsessive
- The Hacker
- The Path of Endless Climax
- Summary for Mastery Scenarios
- Philosophical Assumptions for Mastery
- Mastery (x) Strategic Assumptions
- Wheel of learning + Bets = Failing Forward
- Best Q’s to Start Wheel of Learning?
- Guidelines for “Theories”/Ideas
- Design Adjectives for Experiments
- “Fail” to Learn & Master?
- “Frugally, Fast” (& Simply)
- Flexibility v. Be-right Expert
- Good Mistakes by Dynamic Teams?
- Improv Wisdom: “Maxims”
- “Flow”: Definition of…
- 10 Factors About Flow
- Psychological Flow (Csikszentmihalyi)
- Mastery Skills Within Flow Channel
- Creative Tension for Progress
- Mastery of A Learning Vid. Clip/Meme
- Multi-media, repetitious Learning
- Every Employee a First-Time Tutor
- 5-7 for: Rules of 5-to-7 & 1-to-10
- Why Don’t Distributors Educate?
- Upfront Investment in People
- How to Bootstrap from: Hire Cheap, Work Hard
- Weed to Feed: Coasters Reassess
- Case: Hire a “10” into Team of 2-5’s?
- Learn-to-Earn Game Factors?
- Learn-n-Earn Expectations
- Warehouse Certification
- Monthly Mastery Growth Report
- P.R.I.C.E Intervention
- Hex. Side 6: 100% “adults/partners”
- New Classic Picture
- Name/Claim/Own: Boss-Serf Game
- Hired Hands – “Partners” Test
- “Boss” Habits = Situational Leadership
- Knowers – Learners
- Alternative Model for HEX: “Balanced Scorecard”
- Generic Definitions for Distributors?
- “Generic Levels” Summarized:
- Hex. & Balanced Scorecard
- Corporate “Culture” is Missing!?
- Elements of Culture?
- Hopes for this e-Vid Clip Series
- NEXT? Record at “Changing”?
Module 6: Change Management (View YouTube playlist)
- Change Management: Agenda
- Assumptions About Change (1)
- Assumptions (2): Few Continuous Innovators? Why?
- Assumptions (3): Fate of 90%+?
- Assumptions (6)
- WPT Enables This?
- Our Future Innovation Gap?
- But, Past Track-Record for Planned “Changes”
- Big Question
- A New World Takes New Thinking: More on Mental Models
- New Mental Models into Action
- Change Thinking Levels (1)
- Change Thinking Levels (2)
- Range of Change Possibilities
- Historical Odds for Change Types
- Transformational Strategy for Dis-Continuous Change
- Simple Change = Extreme Transformation?
- From McDonald’s Past?
- Portfolio Path for Innovations?
- Productivity Levels
- Knowing What’s Possible/Right isn’t the Problem?
- Lead from the Middle!
- Mercer Study: Cost Cutters Don’t Prosper! (?)
- The Exceptional Stars
- How They Did It
- Contrasting Company Pairs Study
- Company Pair Lessons
- Success Declines with Distance from Core
- How We/Industries Change
- Forces Pro/Con Change
- Force Field Diagram: Rational Pros/Cons Only
- Common (Emotional) Reasons for Resistance
- Psychological Power Push Backs
- Defensive Reflexes
- Habits: Chemical, Neural Pathways
- Pain of Change?
- Change = Gain and Pain! (?)
- “Health is 1st Wealth” v. Life or Death Stats
- Key Company Wellness Guidelines?*
- What’s our Change Mgt. Track Record?
- Quick Fix (+) Bribe Pattern
- 3 Phases
- Gaps to Fill
- Knowledge Gap Too (?)
- The Seven Doors of Social Change x Enormous Repetition
- Energy Economics
- The Transition Stage
- What Will Happen?
- Tool Checklist for the Trip
- For Permanent Improvements
- Levels of Existing Job – Try Harder or Smarter?
- Change Scenarios
Module 7: Change Management Tools (View YouTube playlist)
- What’s New in Change Management?
- SWITCH: Facts, Comments
- “Switch” Authors’ Guidelines
- Rider and Elephant
- Rider and Elephant (Triune Brain)
- Rider and Elephant + “Corporate Culture?”
- Analytics – Bright Spot(s), Power Laws
- “Scripts?”: Ideas – Wealth
- Scripts in the Net-Profit-Analytics Journey
- Think Big, Act Small, and Collaborate
- Other Change Management Tools
- “IDEATION”: Many “Good” – 1 “Great”
- Ideation Terms and Management
- Don’t Rush to Answers
- Objections to “Diverging and Processing”
- Real Concerns Behind Stall Statements?
- Ideation Sub-Proccesses
- Boosting Idea Flow
- Guidelines for an Idea System
- Section Summary Points
- Change Mgt. Summary Points
- Section Summary Questions
Module 8: Corporate Culture Management (View YouTube playlist)
- “CC” Questions to Address
- CC Can be Profitable/Unprofitable
- History of CC Management
- Why is NOW a Good Time for CC Mgt?
- History: Strong and Weak Types
- McKinsey’s 7-S Framework
- Culture Eats (change) Strategy for Breakfast
- Interplay of 5 Factors: My Turnarounds
- Thoughts on 5 Factors (1)
- Interplay of Factors (2)
- Interplay Factors (3)
- General Summary: Culture is…
- Most Common, Culture Sub-elements?
- Define Present Culture Elements?
- Generic Phrasings for Some Culture Components (1)
- Generic Phrasings for Some Culture Components (2)
- Generic Phrasings for Some Culture Components (3)
- Define Our Present Culture (Pt. A)?
- Our Present (family) Culture (2)
- Vision Tool: Wally Test 1
- Wally Test 2: Answers to Friend’s Q’s
- Summarize/Discuss Survey Results
- Catalyst for 10/10 Journey?
- To Be a “10-People and 10-Results”
- How do we Make our Luck?
- Make Innovation a Team Sport?
- Make Work the Greatest Game!
- Summary of CC Mgt Section