UNDER-VALUED RUSTY: RIP
Daniel Joseph (Rusty) Staub passed on March 29th at 73. Rusty (Le Grand Orange) played 23 years in baseball’s major leagues retiring in ‘85. His career stats: batted in 1,466 runs; averaged .276 with 292 homers and 2,716 hits; and walked a spectacular 1,255 times. With walks, his career on-base percentage (OBP) was .362. He didn’t swing at bad pitches.
Rusty, a champ admired on and off the field, did not make the Hall of Fame. Baseball beliefs back then were still blind to the value of Walks. In 2000, the same Analytical Ignorance allowed the Oakland A’s to “buy runs to win games” cheap. They snagged free agents with superficial flaws, but high OBPs. (Well told in Moneyball: both the book and movie). Continue reading 95. Rusty Staub and Your Unequal, Margin Dollars
AMAZON’S SMALL-DOLLAR-ITEMS: Math and Solutions
Amazon knows warehouse activity costs to the penny. Their 9th generation warehouses may have the lowest, cost-per-pick on the planet. Some stats:
- The “click to ship” elapsed time is 15 minutes and dropping.
- The average human time input for each order is one minute which includes 15 seconds to pack.
- The cost per pick – in the narrowest sense – is 44 cents for a human and 20 cents for a robot.
Continue reading 94. Amazon’s $7 Per Line-Item, Wake-Up Call
Does your company plan to sell – physical or digital – goods to AMZ Prime members in 2020 and beyond? Then, backcast about the ideal customer shopping journey that AMZ will be dictating. And, start changing now.
It’s visionary planning:
- Start with an ideal vision of what customers might want in 2020+.
- With that end in mind move backwards from the vision to the present.
- Then ask: “What do we do today – step by step – to move towards the vision”.
- “Back” contrasts with “fore”- casting which takes our past and extends it into the future. Backcasting will move you towards the future you will need.
- Talk in the future perfect tense. “By 2020, AMZ will have achieved this next-level shopping experience. And, we will have accomplished…” (What: to stay vital?)
- For backcasting slides search the term at Google Images.
Continue reading 93. Amazon (AMZ) Backcasting Strategies
A February 2017 survey by Vistage Worldwide found that 67% of small business owners report a shortage of skilled workers. To try and bridge the gap, 87% have increased recruiting and 60% have boosted wages.
The answers beg more questions
But, what company doesn’t worry about skilled worker shortages, recruiting, and wages? Continue reading 92. Tight Labor Market Challenges? Here Are Solutions!